Each patient describes an ICD shock differently. Some say it feels like a thump on the chest, while others compare it to being kicked in the chest. It is normal to feel apprehensive, but also remember that a defibrillating shock from an ICD can be lifesaving. For most people, if there is pain, it quickly passes. Most patients are sensitive to the views of others. However, ICD patients may also underestimate how much others are sensitive to a medical situation and recognize that it is not directly under their control. Consequently, embarrassment is rarely reported by anyone after experiencing an ICD shock.